Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Trunk Interior Fiberglassing


This went pretty easy.  Rolled out and cut the fiberglass and the peel-ply.  I'm using peel-ply for as much of this build as possible.  If I've learned anything from my prior two builds it that I HATE sanding.  It's probably my own fault.  I'm a little anal about getting everything smooth so I end up sanding spaces that I would probably never see again.  The peel-ply works well for anything that doesn't have curves.  I was also able to get the peel-ply locally for a good price.


Here the fiberglass is in position over the centerboard trunk.  The pile of material at the close end is the peel-ply.  The process is to use about 15% extra epoxy to wet out the fiberglass.  Then lay the peel-ply over it and squeegee it out until there is no air trapped and the peel ply is completely wet out.  This will fill the weave of the fiberglass and eliminate the need to sand (hopefully).


Here is the final wetted out fiberglass and peel-ply.

Hours this session: 2
Hours total: 4
Hours remaining: 396

No comments:

Post a Comment