Sunday, October 10, 2010

Preliminaries

I should probably tell you a little bit about myself and my setup.

By day I'm a 52 yo. software engineer for Pentaho an open source business intelligence company.  I'm retired from the US air force and living in Orlando FL.  I own a West Wight Potter 19 sailboat but want to down size (down size from 19'?!).  That's why I'm building the PocketShip.

I've already built two small stitch and glue sailboats that I eventually sold.  I'm looking to build the PocketShip for my personal use and eventually sell the WWP19.

In preparation for this build I cleaned out my 2 car garage and installed new lighting (it's amazing how bad a paint job can look when you do it in semi-darkness).  I also bought or upgraded several of my power tools.

I've mounted most of my power tools on their own base that I clamp to a workmate table when I need to use them.

About a year ago I purchased the PocketShip manual so that I would have a good heads up on what I would be up against.  I also needed about a year to get the wife to agree to another build in the garage!

The manual was one of the selling points on my purchase of the kit.  I figured if they did half as good a job on the kit as they did the manual that I couldn't go wrong.

My plan is to document as much as possible without getting in the way of the build (or getting too much epoxy on my camera).  If there is anything that someone wants documented in detail please let me know and I'll do my best to oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment