Monday, October 18, 2010

First Cuts

Do to family commitments I wasn't able to do anything on the build during the weekend.  I wish I could have as the weather here was beautiful.  Living in orlando all building must be done in the winter.  I'd never be able to take my un-air conditioned garage in the summer.  I was able to get in a couple of hours this evening.
I unpacked the epoxy and installed the metered pumps.  The tubes on the pumps come a little (about 1") too long and need to be snipped.

The first step in the manual is to build the centerboard trunk.  So that's what I'm cutting out first.  Originally I started by cutting the outside of the tabs and leaving them on the piece to be trimmed off later.  Turns out this is a time consuming way of releasing the pieces.  The trimming should be carefully done to the edge of the piece.  That way there's not much to go back and clean up.

Note above that I said "carefully".  My first (of I'm sure many) PocketShip flubs.  Wasn't watching closely enough while trimming one of the tabs.  Luckily this is only about 1/2" long and in an area that will be rounded out later anyway.  I'll fill it with putty and it won't be an issue.  Doh!

The manual instructs to fiberglass the inside of the C/B trunk.  These are the side that I choose to be the insides.

The plywood on one of the C/B trunks has a small void in it.  I've placed this on the inside of the trunk and will fill it with some putty before I fiberglass it.  BTW when I mention putty I mean epoxy thickened with wood flour and silica.

I'll probably be able to get to do some of the epoxy/fiberglass work tomorrow night.

Hours this session: 2
Hours total: 2
Hours remaining: 398

No comments:

Post a Comment