Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sanding the C/B trunk

Ok, no picts on this one because it's hard to tell what you're looking at.  I opened up my new craftsman (have to give my wife attribution here since this was anniversary gift) belt-sander and gave it a work out.  It all went pretty easy except for the sloping portion of the front of the C/B trunk.  I had a great deal of trouble getting this square.  I was getting worried that I was changing the profile as I was sanding.  After I did get it square I pulled out the tape measure and assured myself that if I did change the profile, it was by no more than 1/8" (whew!).

Now that I've used the MAS epoxies for both fiberglassing and gluing/filling I want to put in a plug.  On the other builds I've done I've used either West or generic "Marine" epoxy.  I find the MAS system to be far superior.  Easier in every phase of the epoxy process.  It's very thin so it wets out the fiberglass VERY easily.  It's easy to thicken to any desired consistency and, best of all, virtually NO epoxy smell.  My wife's biggest objection to me building is new boat in our connected garage was the epoxy smell would get on me and into the house.  She hasn't complained one since I've started using the MAS epoxy, 'nuf said!

Hours this session: 1
Hours total: 12
Hours remaining: 388

No comments:

Post a Comment