Sunday, December 12, 2010

Finish Long Panel Construction and Fiberglass

Not many pictures.  Basically I just repeated the last steps for the other 2 panels types.  It all went as planned.  There was one place that was difficult.  The manual states that the preferred glue for the puzzle joints is epoxy thickened with silica and that it should be slathered on pretty thick.

The problem is that sanding that crap off is like sanding concrete.  It absolutely goes through sanding paper.  In the end the panels are acceptable but I could sure benefit from a technique or mixture that keeps this process from being so tedious.


Now that I had all the panels built I needed to fiberglass the inside of middle and top panels.  Here is a picture of the top panels.  As usual for me I covered the assemblies in peel-ply to reduce the amount of sanding.  Getting such a long piece of peel-ply to lie flat on sticky epoxy is an adventure of its own.

I'm sure there would be a technique to make this easier.  I think next time I'll lay out the fiberglass and then roll the peel ply up at one end.  Then apply epoxy to the fiberglass except at the end that has the roll of peel ply.  Then I'll roll the peel ply onto the wet epoxying and finish the end as a second step.  Might work.

Hours this session: 8
Hours total: 64
Hours remaining: 338

No comments:

Post a Comment