Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Change of Plans and Lesson Learned

So in the last post I said I was going to use a router to relieve the unoccupied edges of the battens.  After a little experimentation with some scrap stock and the router I realized that the best was to do this was to simply use a sanding block.  It was much easier than trying to cut a small round over on a narrow piece of wood.  I guess if I had been a little smarter about it I could have done it on the router table before install.  But this looks just fine and less muss and fuss.

In the area of lessons learned.  I tried to mix up a batch of glue large enough to do the entire batten job.  Well, to make a long story short, I didn't have enough time to apply it before it kicked.  Even though I used the slow hardener, I still wasted about 8 oz of the stuff.  At the price of epoxy, that really hurts.

After install they were installed the battens needed to be sealed with clear epoxy.  I mixed up a small batch and thinned it with alcohol.  The thinning really helps since it is better absorbed into the wood and makes it less susceptible to water intrusion and rot.  It also looks nice and brings out the honey color of the cypress that I'm using for battens.

Hours this session: 2
Hours total: 86
Hours remaining: 316

No comments:

Post a Comment