Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lead Pour

I put on all the requisite gear, boots, long pants, long shirt, respirator, eye protection, welders gloves etc.  Fired up the turkey cooker and started melting lead.  I sourced the lead from a web site.  My wife supposedly had a "source" but it fell through so rather than trying to scrounge at the last minute I just took the easy (and more expensive) way out.

Below is my driveway foundry.  So with my daughter acting as a safety observer I started pouring lead.



I started with the center board.  I leveled it in all directions and started pouring.  I found it difficult to tip the teapot using only the handle.  First I tried to use a stick under it to help lift the rear.  Later I found a small pry bar in my garage that made it a little easier.  It took three pours to fill the cavity.  I over did the last pour a little so I'll have to sand it down later.



Then came the small pour at the front of the keel.  This one went a little better because I could rest the crucible on the brick and tilt it.  Although I did over do it a little.


While I was waiting for the keel to set up I took the backing off the center board to have a look.


It turned out pretty nice.  There are a couple of bubble holes that will need to be filled.


After the front cooled a little to be manageable I blocked up the front get the rear section as level as possible.


About eight pours later and I was done.


This was the first time I've ever messed with melting lead on a large scale.  It was a little bit more physically demanding that I anticipated.  The equipment was so hot that it was uncomfortable right though the welding gloves.  I had to take a break as for the first time in weeks there was some light rain here in central florida.  I guess pouring lead is like planning a picnic, or washing you car, as soon as you do It'll rain.

The lead that I purchased was unrefined and contained a lot of "dross" that needed to be spooned off before each pour.  That was hot work.

I can't say I enjoyed doing this part.  It was interesting and I guess I get to punch a new hole in my "man card", but I'd rather not do this a lot.  My back doesn't like the work!

Hours this session: 6
Hours total: 39
Hours remaining: 363

No comments:

Post a Comment