Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Keel Glue-Up

After checking everything about 10 times I mixed up some epoxy and went to work glueing and clamping.


first I glued the framing and the centerboard trunk to the starboard side of the keel.


At the same time I added the nose block and the little bit of framing that sits just behind it.


After that set up I then glued the port side of the keel to the assembly with some additional weight to get everything in alignment.


The finished product looks pretty nice.


The process wasn't quite as straight forward as above.  I accidentally glued the shims to the keel.  A little heat and little sanding removed this easily.  I was a little concerned because the rear area of the keel seemed to have a little warp in it.  I steamed it with a steam cleaner that my wife has and then weighted it to correct the small warp.  That worked perfectly and now everything is in alignment.

Next up:  cleaning up with some sanding and then rounding over the edges with a router.

Hours this session: 4
Hours total: 27
Hours remaining: 375

No comments:

Post a Comment