Sunday, November 28, 2010

Centerboard Fiberglassing

Before I could continue with the fiberglassing of the centerboard I needed to do a little cleanup.  I had some low spots in the lead pour that needed to be filled in.



In addition, as noted in a previous post there were some bubbles in the edge reinforcement epoxy.  I filled these in and then did a final sanding so that the fiberglass would lay smooth.



The epoxy went on smooth and looks good.


The leading and trailing edge came out very nice.  Too nice for something that in the end won't be seen by anybody!


While I was waiting for epoxy to dry I needed to take care of the over pour in the front of the keel.  I found a technique that worked very well without much muss or fuss.  I took a cheap 1" chisel and a mallet and simply chiseled out the overfill.  Much easier than trying to sand it out in this cramped space!  Didn't seem to harm the chisel too much either.  About 5 minutes on the sharpening stones and it was as good as new (although I wouldn't try this with one of my expensive chisels).



Hours this session: 4
Hours total: 47
Hours remaining: 355

No comments:

Post a Comment