Monday, November 15, 2010

Centerboard Edge Treatment

Per the manual I wanted to reinforce the edges of the centerboard.  This involves excavating a groove in the edge and then filling it with epoxy putty that is high in silica.  Once the edge is shaped the hard epoxy protects the softer wood from dings when it comes in contact with underwater objects (in theory).


The groove was cut with the table saw.  The hardest part of this was keeping the awkward centerboard in true contact with the table saw fence.


I filled in the trailing edge first and let it set.  I should probably have used a "cake icing" bag to do this but I free handed it.  Was a little messy but not too bad.


Once it was dry I mixed up another batch of filler and did the leading edge.  The packing tape does a better job of keeping all the filler in place while it dries.

I didn't take any pictures but I did glue the puzzle joint of the keelson together.  It went very easy.  Used a large battery to weight it down on my garage floor.  I must say I was a little tepid about the puzzle joint but I'm a convert.  CLC cuts the joint so perfect it would be very hard to mess it up.

Hours this session: 3
Hours total: 33
Hours remaining: 369

No comments:

Post a Comment