Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Boat on Trailer

Been getting all the little things done on the boat in preparation for launch day.  Managed to get the boat on the trailer without too much damage (just a couple of scuffs and a small dent).  Nothing that can't be easily fixed.  Should've paid more attention while getting it on the trailer.  I hate having to re-do work 'cause I rushed or didn't pay as much attention to something as I should have.  Thanks for the help from Rob, Mike and my son Sean.


The boat does look beautiful.  I've got the mast on now and shrouds have been mounted.  I purchased the "Pocketship Sailing Hardware Kit" from clc.  The shrouds ended up being just the right length for my mast.  I guess that means I got all the dimensions correct.


The trailer is an aluminum Magic Tilt that was purchased from a local dealer.  They set it up as best they could from the dimensions I gave them.  The bunk supports are a little long.  Gonna borrow my sons saws-all and take care of that tomorrow.  The only option that I added was the spare tire.  It's a nice trailer and the out the door price + TTL was a shade over $2100 new.  On a related note I was able to get the boat registered (although it threw the local DMV into all kinds of convulsions and took about 2 hours and lots of phone calls) and was able to obtains reasonable insurance through BoatUS.


Since this picture I've remounted the removable tabernacle, and boom support and mounted the mast.  I also loaded on the 150lbs of extra ballast and mounted the running lights.  Measuring the current height of the trailer and comparing it to the garage door height I have a scant 2" of clearance but should still be able to put it in my garage should I need to.


I finished adding the drop boards while it was in the garage.  They fit pretty well right out of the box.  I had to shave just a little off the outboard edges of the curved top of the top board to get clearance for the sliding hatch.  After I did that it fit perfect.

Also note the compass.  I really like it in this position but I can't take credit for it.  I saw it on someones blog I just haven't been able to find it again to give them attribution.

Interestingly last night we had one of those severe Florida thunder storms that drops torrents of rain in a small amount of time.  This morning I went to see where I was leaking.  I checked inside the lazarettes, not a drop.  Checked the cabin interior, again dry as a bone as was the dorades.  Pretty nice.


I added a swivel cleat to the base of the mainsheet block.  Others have done this and manual tells you that small boats should never have the mainsheet cleated.  However, my rule of thumb is that you should always have the mainsheet in hand.

I've still got some running rigging tasks to complete.  The plan is to splash it this weekend if the weather cooperates.

1 comment:

  1. Мне понравилось. Вы молодец.чертежами не поделитесь?

    ReplyDelete