Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fitting Out. Part 2.

Last I left off I was adding all the fitting out parts for the PocketShip.  It's amazing how time consuming this is.  Seems like there is an endless list of little things to do once you've got the hull built.  On another note, my sails from CLC arrived last week.  They subcontract those out to a sailmaker whose name I've lost.  Anyway he did a very nice job.


The companion way hood was very tricky to get perfectly aligned on the boat.  I should have marked it better when I was laying it out.  The hatch slides easily but not so easily that it will move around in rough seas.


I really like the way it turned out with the black walnut.


Another shot with it open.


In the front I used white oak for contrast.  I like the way that turned out too.


Nice shot of the rudder with the hardware attached.  Pretty wood.


This is the drop board slides (again black oak) with some trim rings that I used around the vent inlet.  Between each interior vent hold and trim ring I captured a butterfly vent control.  This makes it easy to adjust the amount of air flow into the cabin and it looks nice.  No picture so you'll just have to use your imagination!


Here are the drop board slides installed.  I love that dark wood.


I made up about a dozen of these little guys for  epoxy and (later) painting/varnishing the spars.  They are very handy and keep the after drying touch ups to a minimum.  Not my idea, I saw this on Offcenter Harbor.  Geoff Kerr, the builder of the PocketShip prototype, is a frequent contributor there.  He has a multipart video on building a Caledonia Yawl that is a very good reference to small boat building with epoxy.


If you look at this pile of wood you see the mast, boom, boom gallows, tiller and bow sprit.  These have all had their sealing coats of epoxy and await touch-up sanding and painting.


The "Hull Hardware Package that I purchased from CLC appears to have been shipped without the properly sized lexan drop boards.  In the picture above the template is underneath and notice that the lexan is too small to cover the template (both pieces of lexan are the same size).


Note in this picture the lexan is exactly the same size as the template.  I've asked if this is right on PocketShip.net.  Maybe it's just a mistake and not the way it's supposed to be.

Hours this session: 16
Hours total: 667

2 comments:

  1. Dang, Bill...it is getting really close! Can't wait to see some pictures of her out on the water!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point I'd probably take a week's vacation and sprint to the finish line. Looking great. Can't wait to see her launch.

    ReplyDelete