Friday, March 22, 2013

Working Scared

In this installment of the never-ending build, I perform the scariest thing I've done such pouring lead.  That being cutting the hull for the dorades, hatches, and portholes.  You can't imagine my angst at setting a blade to that which I had spent so much time creating.  It ain't right.

Before I attempted this work I finished filling the weave on the fiberglass by adding 2 more coats of epoxy on the rub rail and everything above it.



Everyone has heard measure twice and cut once.  Well I must have measured this stuff about 8 times and I still didn't feel good when I grabbed my saw.  The first cuts I made were for the storage hatches.  I took one of the hatches and used it's base as a template.  The hardest part about this was holding it in place while I traced the opening.  The hatch would slide and I would have to start over.  It was difficult maneuvering the pencil around the corner between the seat back and the transom.  Eventually, I got them both marked correctly and cut out with the jig saw.  A follow up with the hatch showed that I got it about as perfect as I could expect.  Very snug fit.



The portholes were already scored for me.  I cut to the INSIDE of the scoring so that I would be sure that I wouldn't make a mistake I couldn't easily fix.  Doing that left about 1/8" of extra that needed to be removed around the outside edge.  I did this very gingerly with a Dremel tool and a sanding wheel.  I tested it with the precut plexiglass provided by CLC and found that although I'm very close to the right size they're still a little small and I need a few more passes with the Dremel to finish this up.



The dorade vents were a little easier.  They don't have to be perfect since the trim ring will hide any issues.  Test fit went well.



Moving on to the rudder.

Hours this session: 6
Total hours 482

No comments:

Post a Comment