Saturday, March 9, 2013

Companion Way Hood/Hatch Finished

I haven't stopped working but the progress has slowed a little bit.  Not because of anything except that I haven't had much free time lately.  Oh well, I don't have any target date for this to be finished so it doesn't really matter.



The hood is made out of black walnut on the sides and white oak on the front and pull.  Nice looking, but like it says in the manual it requires a little bit of woodworking.  There are bevels to plane to make it fit the top of the cabin correctly, curves to match, pulls to make and it all has to slide correctly when mounted on the boat.  It took me quite a bit of adjusting and screwing around to get it to look/act right.



The hatch is pretty much the same.  Sides of black walnut and the front, back and pull made from white oak.  Looks good now and I expect it will look a lot better when its all finished nicely.  I added the compass rose inlay to the top of the hatch.  It comes from CLC was easy and fun to do with great results.  A little expensive but very high quality veneer.


The tops and sides are fiberglassed.  It'll need two more coats of epoxy before final sanding.

Next up I need to cover the entire boat and the hood/hatch assembly with two more coats of epoxy so I can finally roll this thing over.

Hours this session: 8
Total hours 476

3 comments: