Sunday, January 29, 2012

Floor Boards Milling is Finished

After doing all that work getting the floor boards in the boat, the next step is to pull them all out.  At this point there is a ton of work needed to get them to the finished state.  The first thing to do was to use the band saw to cut the curves that was defined by the battens.  Once this was done I re-drilled all of the holes with a 3/8" Forsner bit on the drill press.  This will allow me to plug the screw holes after the boards are installed.  I plan on using a very dark wood for the plugs to get a contrast with the white oak.


Once the shape of each board was cut I rough sanded both side and then fine sanded the top.  Moving the location markings from the top to the bottom in the process.  Finally I gave the edges a 1/8" round over with the router.


All this milling doesn't sound too bad until you realize that there are 16 of these to do.  Not hard stuff but it sure takes a while.  I've still got to finish the surface of these before they can go back in the boat.  I ordered a liter of Danish Oil for doing the boards.  I tested it on a piece of scrap and it looks very nice.

Hours this session: 10
Hours total: 241
Hours remaining: 179

No comments:

Post a Comment