Sunday, January 1, 2012

Deck Framing and Floorboard Start

Took about 15 straight days off of work for the holiday season and was able to push this project along.  My philosophy is that I wouldn't sacrifice anything but TV time to build this boat.  After all I didn't want this project to cause a divorce!  All kidding aside my wife has been very supportive of this project especially since I put her first.


The deck framing was a very interesting job.  Getting the geometry right along with all the beveling on the back and sides framing was an exercise in mental gymnastics.  In the end everything lined up to within 1/16".


Before I put the decking on I will locate the framing for the Bowmar hatches.  These require a framing of 12 X 21"  The framing on the top edge of the footwell will provide one of these side but I'll have to add the others before the deck goes on.


I cut out the notch for the frame at bulkhead #7 but I noticed that it caused the span to be a little flimsy.  Since this stringer won't be added until after the interior has been painted and the floorboards installed I needed a way to make sure I didn't accidentally break it during moving around inside the boat.  It was a simple matter of taping a small block in place.  This technique keeps it almost as rigid as it was before the notch was cut.


You might be able to tell from the pictures that the floorboards were spliced together from two lengths of wood.  Getting 10' length of wood shipped to my house is too expensive.  It only takes me a little bit of labor to do this and save the cost of the shipping long lumber.  Incidentally I made the same mistake as the prototype and spanned the entire length of bulkhead #7 with the stringer.  I had to cut the center section out so that the footwell would fit correctly.


Hours this session: 32
Hours total: 207
Hours remaining: 203

No comments:

Post a Comment