Friday, April 15, 2011

More Filleting Work

After doing a diligent job of sanding the fillets in the aft compartment I found that some were going to have to be repaired.

There were several low areas that needed to be raised and a few "holes" or "voids" in the fillets.  I attribute the holes to getting the filleting material a little too thick and it "pulling" while going over it with the filleting tools.

In the end I mixed up a little bit more filleting material (no silica since the problem areas were so small and didn't affect the structure and I wanted something easy to sand) and filled in the areas in question.  A little sanding and all is well.

My intention is to fiberglass the rear bay first.  This area is mostly hidden and is used as storage so I'll be able to judge my skills and learn without affecting the final look of the boat (much).  Then take that knowledge and work forward bay by bay first dressing out the fillets and then glassing until the interior glass work is done.

My floor board lumber arrived last week and I spent about an hour ripping about half the stock it to width.  I'm going to have to make a few splices since I couldn't find any stock in my price range for the longest floorboards.  I'm using white oak for the floorboards and black walnut for the rub and toe rails.  I picked the white oak for a several of reasons.  I don't want the interior to look like a cave and the light wood should brighten it up and the weight of the white oak should reduce the amount of ballast I need in the bilges.   I should also have enough left over to laminate the tiller and other parts.  I think the light/dark contrast of those two woods will look great.

Work is going slow right now.  Summer has made an early appearance here in FL and working in a non-AC garage is brutal during the day time.  Nothing like being coated in sweat that's been thickened by sanding dust!

Hours this session: 3
Hours total: 141
Hours remaining: 259

No comments:

Post a Comment