Sunday, August 25, 2013

Painting the Hull

I've a proponent of System 3 WR-LPU (Water Reducible Linear Poly Urethane) since it is water soluble easy to roll or spray and provides very nice result -- most of the time.


I prepared the hull with high build primer meant for this kind of paint and sanded it smooth.  So far so good.


Then I sprayed the "Mercer Green" color coats.  Had a few runs but nothing I couldn't take care of.  So far ok. 


Then sprayed the gloss coats.  Ugh! Blushing!  Very bad bad blushing.  Crap!  Called the System 3 rep.  Said I would have to wet sand to bring out the gloss.  More sanding... so sad.


Started with 600 grit.  So far this is what the boat looks like.  A lot of the blotchiness in the photos are because of dust from the wet sand.  It does look a lot better but I've got about 4 more circuits to go before I get to 2000 grit.


After that I will use 3000 grit rubbing compounds and then finishing compound with wax.


The initial run seem good and it's getting better with each pass so I think I'm going to be ok.


Hours this session: 24
Hours total: 585

No comments:

Post a Comment