Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Preparing the Bottom

Last week I planned in the underside profile for the rub rail.  I didn't mill the rub rails as precisely as I should have.  I figured it would be easier to trim them up in place.  The job turned out to be too much for my belt sander so I resorted to planning them down.  This worked very well but was time consuming and uncomfortable since the rail sits too low to stand and plane and working on my knees without kneed pads is a form of torture.

Spent last night filling holes and cleaning up the keelson to keel joint in preparation for fiberglassing.  Only task left before I add fiberglass to the bottom is to create the "giant" fillet between the keelson and the keel.  Lost about 10lbs in sweat.

It's getting hot here in Florida (imagine that) and I'm going to have to tackle this at night when it's cooler.  Otherwise, the pot life of the epoxy really suffers even when I'm using slow hardener.  The same is true for when I go to 'glass it.  I've already bought a bunch of roller tray liners so that I can spread the epoxy out and get more pot time out of it.

Hours this session: 16
Hours total: 518

No comments:

Post a Comment