Monday, December 31, 2012

Top Sides Fiberglassing and Misc Woodwork

After finishing glassing the footwell I moved on to the cabin top and the remainder of the front.  This all was much easier work than the footwell (see last post).  It went quickly without any issues.


I chose to use one piece of fiberglass to wrap around the front of the boat to the opposite side.


I made some additions to the fiberglass schedule on the front of the cabin top.  Before continuing the fiberglass down over the front of the cabin top I added an additional layer of biaxial tape along the front edge.  This is in response to reports of separation at this join, especially with PocketShips that have a removable tabernacle as I am planning on employing.


I continued the front fiberglass over the inside edge of the bow.


Here is my table saw jig setup for cutting the 10:1 scarfs for the rub rail.  This jib worked immensely well at cutting perfect scarfs.  Took literally 10 minutes to build.


If you look at the stack of wood just to the left of the white PVC you sees all the consistent scarfs cut with the jig.  I chose to make the rub rails out of black walnut because I love the way it looks when varnished.  It has a deep brown/black color with lighter grain patterns.


The PVC pipe is my steaming box.  After a failed attempt as getting the walnut to bend around the bow I decided that I would steam bend it.  The PVC pipe is 7' long and has a brass nipple at one end to attach the steam generator.  I've already tested it and it should do the trick.


I also used the block walnut for the toe rails.  The bend needed here isn't as severe as at the bow.  I was able to achieve this bend with no problem.


Hours total: 450

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your blog very much as it's helping me with ideas for my PocketShip currently under construction and soon to be fibreglassed. How was your experience with the fairing process in terms of hours spent and the process you followed?

    ReplyDelete