Monday, April 30, 2012

Spoke Too Soon

In the last installment I was gushing over how everything lined up so well and didn't need much trimming.  Well you know what they say about pride and falling.  It seems that I have lived up to that adage.  Do you notice something wrong in the photo below?


If you can't catch it there used to be a footwell frame batten attached to the transom.  After fitting the footwell sides I realized that I glued and screwed this incorrectly.  It was actually tilted such that the port side was about 1/2" above the starboard side.  Minor cold sweats ensued.  I thought about it for about 20 minutes.  Maybe I could trim it even.  But that might make it too thin.  Maybe I could reinforced the trimmed support from below.  This is starting to get complicated for one small piece.



In the end I grabbed my Dremel oscillating tool with a wood cutting blade and removed the offending piece completely.  Unfortunately I had covered the recessed screws with epoxy putty and I couldn't clean it out enough to get a grip on the heads with a screwdriver.  So after I loosed the wood all around the screws I put on metal cutting attachment and cut the screws off flush.  The remaining screws in the transom will be just left in.

It's amazing how quickly I can make a piece once I've done it before.  I was able to cut a replacement, including the bevel to compensate for the transom angle, in no time.  It is now glued and screwed in place and it took less time than it does to blog about it.

All the deck framing and the footwell sides are glued in place.  While they're easy to get to I'm going to paint the interior sides of the footwell.  Then comes the decking.


Hours this session: 4
Hours total: 289

No comments:

Post a Comment