Sunday, February 13, 2011

Forward Floorboard Support Fix

I gave a lot of thought about how the remedy for the front floor support being almost 1/2" too high.  I originally was going to trim the top down by the offending amount and add that amount to the underside of the support.

That didn't go so well.  I was unable to come up with a jig that would allow that precise a cut to be done in that small an area.  I tried but all I managed to do was mangle the floor support.

So I broke out my flush cut Dremel tool (the one I blogged about my wife getting me for X-Mas).  This fantastic little tool did a wonderful job of removing what was left of the old support without damage to bulkhead #2.

The rest was pretty easy.  I made a paper template of the support in the new location and I cut a new support to fit.  Since there wasn't a way to clamp it in place I had to hold it to the bulkhead with a couple of temporary screws.  I was even able to find a couple of screws that wouldn't penetrate the bulkhead.  All in all it looks very good.  Little touch up work and you'd never know that I had a problem here.


Since last time I also removed the "punch out" sections from bulkhead #6.  I used my japanese saw to make the cuts but there is still some touchup work that I will have to do with the Dremel rotary sander.  This was a little premature according the the sequence in the manual.  But I wanted a continuous fillet and didn't want to have to fill it in later.


I taped the chine and the bulkhead #2 in preparation for filleting and then I removed the last of the stitches (not actually the last I still have one left in the bow that is totally encased in a fillet.  I had to leave it in place in order to keep the bow closed.  Once that bow area is fiberglassed I'll heat it up and pull it out.



Hours this session: 4
Hours total: 126
Hours remaining: 274

No comments:

Post a Comment