Sunday, April 15, 2012

Painting and Floor Boards

After hours of sanding and practicing my contoursionist skills the interior was ready to paint.  Again I used my HVLP Erlex paint gun to apply the color.  Incidentally I didn't go with Wembly White.  I went with a brighter Orca White instead.

So the interior turned better than I had hoped.  All the sanding paid off and so did my anal attention to getting the fillets right and smooth.  After seeing the kind of flaws that the high build primer can mask I realized that I overdid the prep of the interior.  How often can you say that!


Certain areas that the pain gun couldn't reach had to be done by hand.  For this I simply used a small foam brush and feathered the paint into the areas that were sprayed.


I wanted a part of bulkhead number 2 left bright.  I masked this off with some "Frog Tape".  This stuff has a gel edge that swell when in contact with water sealing off edge from paint seeping under.  I had a problem with the last boat I built.  Since the WR-LPU paint is so thin it can wick under regular painters tape.


Here you can see the front storage area with the supports for the battery platform.


I wet sanded the interior with 600 grit.  It gave it a final nice smooth satin finish.  Then I added the finished floor boards.  Pretty happy with the results.


Here you can see where the pull strings for the wiring exit from underneath the floorboards.  The wiring will power the light for the compass and the rear navigation light and some accessory outlets.


The screw holes with be plugged with darker wood (like black walnut or cedar) to give it a neat look.


The pull strings at the front exiting the conduit.  I found a 8' pre-made conduit with fittings already installed.  It fit the cutouts perfectly and cost about $11 at Home Depot.


Front to back view of the floor boards.


Another view of the under floor board storage.  There is much more room in these things than it seems while assembling the hull.  Some of that room will be taken up by internal ballast.

Hours this session: 12
Hours total: 273
Hours remaining: 147

No comments:

Post a Comment